Free 5-week Taste of Health Cookery Clubs. Would you like to learn new skills? Improve your wellbeing? Meet new people? Try new & delicious food? Save some money? Grow your own food? These clubs will be held at community venues around the Borough starting Monday 11th Jan. To find your nearest location & to book your place, please call 0800 470 4831. Free recipe book on completion!
Introduction to Horticulture – New Year, New Garden: this short course from Hadlow College will run on Mondays & Tuesdays for 3 weeks (18th Jan – 1st Feb – note this finishes on a Monday), from 10-4pm, at the Horticultural Centre (Shooters Hill Road, SE18 3HP). Aimed at beginner or novice gardeners, this course will explore cost-effective ways to brighten up your garden. The tutor will combine theory & practical work to help learners get the best from their gardens. Cost is £25 (including all resources and refreshments) with bursaries available for those on benefits. Call or email for details: John Marsh, tel. 020 8319 4845 / email email@example.com.
Want to know if Retail is the right career for you? Interested in developing key skills for retail? If so check out the next Retail Skills free course, which takes place on Jan 25th, 26th & 27th 10-4pm @ Charlton Athletic Football Club (The Valley, Floyd Road SE7 8BL). Call 0208 665 4297 for more info or to book a place.
Job Centre Plus is working with Successful Mums to deliver the Work Ready Mums course. This training will help mums with ideas, confidence and coaching to find a job they enjoy. Topics covered include personal styling, social media and careers advice, and there will be motivational speakers and links to family-friendly employers. The training starts on 10th Feb 10-2pm @ Elliston House Woolwich and is for individuals who are in receipt of JSA, ESA, IS, or UC – those on the work programme are not eligible. Successful Mums are also running a taster session on 27th Jan from 10.30am – midday @ Woolwich Job Centre. Book your place through Julie or Lucie at Mulgrave Children’s Centre (tel. 020 83195727), your Job Centre Work Coach or call Robert Falzon, Parent Employment Advisor on 07805 741278.
Are you interested in working with children? Would you like to gain a childcare qualification? Do you have a good standard of English & Maths? Then go along to the South Greenwich Children’s Centres’ forthcoming tasters session to find out more. Taster for the Level 2 course in Supporting Teaching and Learning in schools (which is planned for April-July 2016) will be held on Tuesday 9th February 1-3pm @ Alderwood Children’s Centre, Rainham Close, SE9 2JH. Please call 020 8850 5927 if you want to attend this session.
Taster for the Level 2 Children and Young Peoples’ Workforce course (which is planned for September 2016) will be held on Friday 11th March 1-3pm @ Vista Field Children’s Centre. Please call 020 8859 1110 if you want to attend this session.
The Mumtreprenuer Club are holding a free self-employment workshop on 18th January at GLLaB offices, Old Library Calderwood St, Woolwich SE18 3QW, from 10 -11am. Interested? Want to find out more? Phone 0208 921 2466 to find out more or book a place.
Get into Construction course from The Prince’s Trust will run in February – includes CSCS card training & testing and work experience on a live construction site. Info day takes place on Tues 26th Jan in Greenwich. Available to 18 to 25-year-olds who are not in education, training or employment. To find out more or to book a place email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Flower Skills are recruiting learners for a free ‘Return to Construction’ course, starting on Monday (11th January). The course is aimed at unemployed learners with previous experience (at least 12 weeks) of the construction industry & includes a 2-week course leading to a recognized qualification, followed by 2-weeks work experience with a focus on securing a job. Included in the course are safety boots, hat and gloves, and some help is available for travel costs. Contact Luke or Jason for more info or to sign up – tel. 020 83055050 or email email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Lots of courses coming up at Lewisham & Southwark College (Deptford campus: 2 Deptford Church St, SE8 4RZ) – to qualify for these you must be 19+ & in receipt of JSA, ESA, IS or UC. Call Employment & Skills at Lewisham & Southwark College on 020 3757 4350 or speak to your Job Centre Advisor. Courses include:
- Health & Safety in a Construction Environment Level 1 (incl. CSCS card) & BTEC L1 Certificate in Work Skills. Starts Mon 11th Jan
- 12-week intensive ESOL and Basic Skills courses start Mon 11th Jan – provide learners with the functional skills they need to improve their English and make it easier to search for jobs. Vacancies with Virgin gyms across London are attached to the course. Placements and work experience opportunities also available.
- BTEC Level 1 Award in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care starts Weds 13th Jan
- Online IT Basics course starts Weds 14th Jan – suitable for beginners, covering basic IT skills, computer security & privacy, using email and the internet.
- Principals of Business Admin Level 2 starts 28th Jan – includes units on: personal responsibility & working in a business environment; providing administrative services; managing information & producing documents; supporting change in a business environment; supporting business events.
- Level 1 Certificate in Legal Studies: this free course is aimed at anyone wanting to work in legal admin or as a legal secretary. It begins on Tuesday 12th January and runs over 6 weeks (10-4pm). Topics covered include the legal environment, principles of civil liability, and principles of criminal law, as well as creating a CV and assistance with using Universal Job Match to search for and apply for jobs. Work placements can also be arranged and progression onto the L2 course will be supported.
- Health & Safety at Work Level 2 starts Thursday 28th Jan and includes: principles of health & safety and accident prevention; the importance of risk assessment; employers’ & employees’ responsibilities; following procedures.